RARA-AVIS: RE: Thompson adaptations (was Killer Inside Me Keach)

From: Duane Spurlock ( duane@emazing.com)
Date: 20 Aug 2001

"Cristoforo" < Cristoforo@mediaone.net> wrote:

<< I think After Dark, My Sweet is a rare example of the movie being better than the book. Although I'm rabid for Thompson, I found ADMS to be one of his less successful efforts while the movie was great, with a star-making performance by Jason Patric.

This was an excellent and at times frightening film. Jason Patric was marvelous, and his job in this role has permanently branded that role in my mind -- whenever I see him in a movie, I can't shake the image of him from After Dark, My Sweet.

It's just like that superlative creepy job Eric Roberts did in Star 80. I can hardly stand to watch him in anything since then. Including The Pope of Greenwich Village. (How many ugly people can you put in one movie that Fellini DIDN'T direct?)

Anyway, I digress...

The Grifters was also well done, I thought. Creepy turns by Angelica Huston and Annette Benning. John Cusack...did his usual okay job, I thought. Not a standout. But maybe he's a better actor than I think, because I never think he's a standout -- maybe he makes it look easy.

But in all cases, I haven't read those books either. For some reason I've stuck to Thompsons whose movies I haven't seen or that haven't been made into movies.
-- Duane