Re: RARA-AVIS: books to film

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 17 Aug 2001

John wrote:

"I think everyone knows the memorable ending to CHINATOWN is director Roman Polanski's contribution, and not screenwriter Robert Towne's."

Which makes it highly ironic that the script, published under Towne's name, features the Polanski ending (along with a few other Polanski changes). As recently mentioned, Jon Tuska's The Detective in Hollywood
(and a Towne interview in American Film magazine) make it very clear that, at the time, Towne was anything but happy with Polanski's ending, and producer Robert Evans's decision to back the director's vision. Maybe winning the Oscar for the script changed Towne's mind.

In my opinion, Polanski took what would have been a very good period PI film and turned it into a film classic.

Mark