RARA-AVIS: THIS WORLD, AND THEN THE FIREWORKS the film vs. the novel

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 17 Aug 2001

I have read THIS WORLD, AND THEN THE FIREWORKS, and cannot recommend the film, depsite being a fan of Gershon and having little problem with Zane and the actress, whose name slips my mind, who plays their mother. Definitely don't see the film first...by me, rather than being too Beat, it's entirely too watered down, too much a Zane vehicle, and afraid to stick by its convictions (it waffles a bit even on the trademark Thompson incestuous relation).

Not terrible, but just not in the same class as the original, which I read in Ed Gorman's SECOND BLACK LIZARD ANTHOLOGY OF CRIME FICTION.

TM (but, like, say, THICK AS THIEVES...it is a not-bad way to spend an otherwise dull hour or two...After reading the real thing...)