RARA-AVIS: the many Mikes

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 16 Aug 2001

"To me Stacey Keach will forever be Mike Hammer. He just fit every expectation I had for the character."

Even with the mustache? Other than the mustache, I was pretty happy with Keach as Mike, also, although it was a bit campy to be true to Spillane, which is probably why I liked it. (I was also a fan of the gimmick of mystery woman who briefly appeared in each episode.) Of course, my favorite Hammer movie is Kiss Me Deadly, which is the least faithful.

Somewhere I read that Spillane's only requirements of the TV series were that it had to be set in New York and that Mike must carry a 45.

"But does anyone know if, other than the series, has he played Mike hammer or any other PI on the big screen?"

Didn't Keach do a made-for-TV Hammer movie or two after he got out of prison?

And here's a warning if it should ever show up again: Avoid the made-for-TV movie that starred the guy from Silk Stalkings (and some primetime soaps, can't remember his name) as Hammer and Pamela Anderson as Velda.

Mark