Re: RARA-AVIS: the voice of hardboiled

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 16 Aug 2001

George wrote:

"And if Elliot Gould is Marlowe then Neil Diamond is Elvis."

Don't be dissing Neil, at least not early Neil. What can I say? I'm A Believer.

The first time I saw Altman's Long Goodbye, I was outraged. When I saw it again years later, I went in with the attitude, Okay, go in with no preconceptions, just take it for what it is. I now think it's a great movie. But Chandler's Marlowe? Nunh-uh!

"While we're on the subject, the two best casting choices for a literary-to-film detective were both made for Mike Hammer adaptations: Ralph Meeker in Kiss Me Deadly and Armande Assante in I, the Jury."

Didn't like Mickey, himself, as Mike in Girl Hunters?

Mark