RARA-AVIS: Goodis/Jim D/Earth

From: Louis David Goldberg ( louisg@umich.edu)
Date: 16 Aug 2001

I have tried the library loan system to read some titles. That's how I was able to read The Burglar before it was re-issued. The original paperback was re-bound into a hard cover. I haven't tried it recently to get Return from Oblivion.

Hey, Jim Doherty, are you the guy in Chicago who's a big Bernard Herrmann fan? If so, I bought some tapes from you some years ago. Good to see you're still alive and well.

I've seen To The Ends of the Earth, a very neat film. A little too over-narrated but with some wonderful moments: x-rays of the camel's stomachs to show the containers of drugs, a flight/map montage that is very close to the one in Raiders of the Lost Ark, hundreds of coolies attached to an anchor chain dumped overboard to drown when the coast guard comes near, and a great surprise villian.