RARA-AVIS: Tim Willocks

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 15 Aug 2001

Just finished Tim Willocks's first (and first of him by me), "Bad City Blues". A bit too violent to be wholly convincing, I enjoyed the book very much. Driving post-caper book, even though I didn't find the characters' angst so convincing as the author would've liked, but nevertheless recommended. Nice touch: the guys who helped in the caper were named Parker, Leonard, Mickey and MacDonald. Mickey Spillane seems to be have made a big impression on Willocks, judging from the amount of male angst and violence.

SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT! Only for those who have read the novel and therefore know the answer.

The copy writer said in the back cover that the same characters appear in Willocks's "Bloodstained Kings". However, the cop dies in the end and the girl leaves. So, do she and Cicero Grimes get back together or is it only Grimes in "Kings"? Or was it a copy writer's error?

Juri