RARA-AVIS: Grant; Stewart

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 15 Aug 2001

On Mon, 13 Aug 2001, Dixon H. Chandler II wrote:

> Yeah, Grant is too ... I dunno, too Big Movie Star.

But was Chandler referring to Grant's almost unbelievable ability to punch lines? Chandler said that he wrote parody (well, not directly, but hinted at it) and there's a big amount of screwball comedy in early Marlowes.

> His presence is too
> great, just as James Stewart's was. Only Hitchcock could really make those
> two stars disappear away from their star power, and have their performances
> shine through.

Anthony Mann does a very good job with Stewart in his dark and violent Westerns. You almost forget that this is the same Stewart of "It's a Wonderful Life".

Juri