RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS To The Ends of the Earth

From: Dixon H. Chandler II ( dchandler@nettally.com)
Date: 13 Aug 2001

Writing about Dick Powell a moment ago has reminded me of a 1948 film I saw when I was younger. It was called To The Ends of the Earth, and was probably somewhere along the border of noir, produced just as noir was beginning to take on the tones of the police procedural. The plot involved poppie smuggling for the production of narcotics. Powell played an FBI man, or a customs agent, and he chased the bad guys all over the world. Most of the review books say it was average, but I remember it as being teriffic. Has anybody ever seen this one?

-dc