Re: RARA-AVIS: intro/Dortmunder/Block

From: George Upper ( gcupper3@yahoo.com)
Date: 13 Aug 2001

--- W VR < wvr12@yahoo.com> wrote:
'Sacred' was, in my opinion, FANTASTIC, but
> the ending has a feeling that, if I didn't know
> better
> I would have guessed Block was bringing the Scudder
> books to a close. Does anyone know if Block had that
> in mind when he wrote 'Sacred' or is it just my
> impression?

He might have. He wrote _Eight Million Ways to Die_ and, because Scudder undergoes a major character change at the very end of that novel (note the careful phrasing to avoid lack of spoilage), he did not anticipate returning to the Scudder character. However, he ended up writing *Sacred Ginmill* as a flashback to before the character change. He may very well have anticipated that *Sacred Ginmill* was something of a final bow for the character (again).

G.

===== George C. Upper III, Editor The Lightning Bell Poetry Journal http://www.lightningbell.org