Re: RARA-AVIS: intro/Dortmunder/Block

From: George Upper ( gcupper3@yahoo.com)
Date: 13 Aug 2001

--- Mark Sullivan < DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net> wrote:
> Carrie, if you felt Block's Burglar was too cute
> (can't argue with
> that), you've gotta read more Scudder. The early
> ones, like Sins of the
> Father, are okay, but the reaches its stride with
> Eight Million Ways to
> Die. That, along with When the Sacred Ginmill
> Closes, are as good as
> the contemporary PI novel gets.

I'll second that (and I think I've seconded it on here before). Rumor has it, by the way, that _Hope to Die_, the new Scudder novel due out in October, is considered by many early novels to be in the same league with *Eight Million* and *Ginmill.* I'm doing a write-up on it for the Gale Group, so I have an excuse to buy the hardcover--I'll give you an early report as soon as I can.

G.

===== George C. Upper III, Editor The Lightning Bell Poetry Journal http://www.lightningbell.org