Re: RARA-AVIS: crime comics

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 11 Aug 2001

I sat down last night and read the first seven issues of David Lapham's
"Murder Me Dead." It's a very different comic from his "Stray Bullets," but just as good. Although its story arcs spanned several issues, SB offered a complete story in each comic. MMD is one intricately plotted nine-issue story.

I think Lapham has probably read a fair amount of David Goodis in between watching a lot of classic films noir. The main character is even a piano player. The most sympathetic characters are not very, but you still care about them because their faults are only too human and believable, just exaggerated versions of the not-too-bright things you and/or your friends have done for love. And Lapham keeps you guessing for a long time about whether the lead female character is a femme fatale who uses any man who comes her way or has just had a long run of bad luck. I'm looking forward to the next two issues.

Then more "Stray Bullets."

Mark