Re: RARA-AVIS: crime comics

From: jjnevins@ix.netcom.com
Date: 10 Aug 2001

rara-avis@icomm.ca wrote:

> Two Whiteout graphic novels written by Greg Rucka

I think the WHITEOUT gns are the best of the group you mentioned.

Brian Bendis' work has been discussed here already, I think.

I think the best crime-oriented comic on the market today is a British black-and-white called KANE, about a policeman who turned in his dirty partner and got shot for it, and has to return to the station a while later, hated by both the other cops and by Oscar Darke, the vicious crime lord of the city Kane works in. It's done with a high level of skill and no small amount of humor. KANE isn't easy to find in this country, although issues are collected in trade paperbacks, but they're well worth your money.

Tell you what, Mark. Buy the first KANE trade paperback--I don't think it's out of print, but I'm not having any luck finding it in a quick search (it's from Dancing Elephant Press and is called
"Greetings From New Eden"). Any good, big comic book store should have it, though. If you don't like it, I'll buy it from you.

jess--I've made this offer three times so far to people I know, and not once have I been forced to pay up