Re: RARA-AVIS: Recent acquisitions

From: Brian Evankovich ( brianevankovich@hotmail.com)
Date: 10 Aug 2001

Double Indemnity was pretty good. I have the Vintage edition. But I was disappointed to see that Cain's other well-known piece, The Postman Alawys Rings Twice, was simply a Double Indemnity rehash. Or was it the other way around? I'm not sure which came out first. The one thing I didn't like about Double was the motivations of Huff in getting involved with the murder plot. It just sort of seemed that we were expected to take it as it is without any real understanding as to why. Of course, maybe that was the point, as plenty of real life Double Indemnity-style cases have shown motivations are sometimes murky. But I could have used a bit more reasoning behind Huff's actions. I think the movie handled it pretty good. --Brian