Re: RARA-AVIS: BATTLE LINES

From: James ( james53@flash.net)
Date: 03 Aug 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "JIM DOHERTY" < jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com> To: < rara-avis@icomm.ca> Sent: Friday, August 03, 2001 5:13 PM Subject: RARA-AVIS: BATTLE LINES

> I don't know if this has been mentioned here before,
> so, if it has, I hope you'll forgive me.
>
> A new military novel entitled *Battle Lines* was
> recently released by Tor Books. Rara-Avians might
> find it of interest, despite its not being a
> hard-boiled crime novel, because the author is a
> fellow named James Reasoner.
>
> Congrats and best of luck, Mr. R!
>
> JIM DOHERTY

Thanks for the good words, Jim. While this book and the ones that follow it are primarily war novels, there are some homefront scenes that deal with gamblers and gangsters and the black market, and since one of the main characters is a pulp writer, there are lots of pulp references, too. One of the most enjoyable aspects of writing these books is that I get to do a lot of rat-a-tat-tat, tough guy, side-of-the-mouth, Forties-type dialogue.

Best, James