RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V3 #807

From: Marian Poller ( mpoller@netvision.net.il)
Date: 01 Aug 2001

About the Kingsley-Smith, Murder of an old-time movie star, c1983. I wrote in my notebook: "Original Pinnacle Books ed. Memoir of Pete McCoy about scandals in Hollywood in 30s with a movie star, etc. Real lousy." I seem to remember it was probably based on one of those actual events but can't remember which movie star it would have been.In "Mystery lovers companion" by Art Bourgeau he says:"A fun read about the murder of an old movie star. A little like Stuart Kaminsky". (Maybe that's why I don't read SK anymore?)

About Rim of the pit by Hake Talbot: Just checked my ed of 1001 midnights and see it was reviewed inside by Pronzini. "In 1981 a panel of experts on the impossible crime story selected "Rim of the pit as second only to John Dickson Carr's The three coffins among the finest novels of this type. " I think I ought to go find my copy and reread it. Sounds really terrific. Marian P in Israel