RARA-AVIS: Still on Willeford

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 01 Aug 2001

I finished Willeford's "Sideswipe" this morning. It's easily one of the great caper novels of all time. The Troy Louden character is scary as hell, but Stanley Sinkiewizc's affection for him is told touchingly. Their first conversation in the cell is a great work of deep humour. I just wonder whether Willeford knew Dan J. Marlowe's "Four for the Money"
- one of the characters, the young guy who got crazed up in the jail, reminds me of Troy Louden.

The rhythm of the robbing scene is accurate. As Bill Denton earlier pointed out, Willeford doesn't need to speeden up the pace or one-sentence paragraphs, but this way the killings are more forceful. They seem more merciless.

It's clear that Willeford was moving away from the crime genre with this one. "The Way We Die Now" was more like a crime novel.

Juri