RE: RARA-AVIS: reading and cooking

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 29 Jul 2001

<As far as Spenser goes, I don't think there's a general acceptance that he's even hard-boiled to begin with.>>

Regardless of how one judges the series, Spenser's hardboiledness is not in question, I think. He has acquired some middle-age mellowness, but at the core he's a tough guy who acts instinctively and, often, physically. Not an armchair sleuth (and his buddy and factotum, even less). My problems with Spenser are a) that he talks too much and b) the whole Silverman thing, which distracts from the story
(to the point of ridiculousness). Parker wasn't able to integrate this relationship well into the series. It's not credible, it's not entertaining. It's pure hooptedoodle.

Regards,

MrT

=====