Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Da Booze, Da Horse

From: Mark Troy ( metroy@unix.tamu.edu)
Date: 24 Jul 2001

Kevin Burton Smith wrote:
>And I'm with John, too. I really dug SHOOTING AT MIDNIGHT, prologue
>and all. A lot of people felt the book was too over-the-top, too
>comic- booky, but I thought the opening salvo, with the fast-forward
>account of Logan's life, sets it all up so well that I couldn't help
>but enjoy the ride. I found it not so much comic-booky, as just good
>old pulpy.

No question about it. This was my first intro to Rucka and it blew me away. The amazing thing about the book is that he has two strong narative voices that are distinct from each other. When Logan disappeared I missed her voice, but I was hooked by Kodiak right away.

Mark

Mark Troy http://www.tamu.edu/marshome/staff_pages/murder.html Val Lyon is "wicked tough. And pilikia, Hawaiian for
'trouble,' doesn't faze her in the slightest." Mary Haywood -- Cozies, Capers and Crimes. PILIKIA IS MY BUSINESS, featuring Honolulu PI Val Lyon in trade paperback and ebook from LTDBooks ( http://www.ltdbooks.com ).