Re: RARA-AVIS: Da Booze

From: Dan Alban ( frimp13@yahoo.com)
Date: 23 Jul 2001

>"A Firing Offense" by George P. Pelecanos

I'm reading "A Firing Offense" right now, and there is definitely a heavy drinking element to it. My understanding is that protagonist Nick Stefanos' drinking gets progressively worse through the trilogy.

To quote Booklist: "Give bartender Nick Stefanos a bottle of booze, a pack of smokes, and some good lovin', and he's a happy man. Nick lives for the first and last drinks of the day and all the drinks between, but once in a while, he comes out of his alcoholic fog and does some detecting work. After a stupor-inducing night with a bottle of Jack Daniels, Stefanos comes to on the bank of the Anacostia River and hears a murder being committed just yards away..."

=====
"Thank God we don't get all the government we pay for."
- Will Rogers

"Sometimes it is said that man cannot be trusted with the government of himself. Can he, then, be trusted with the government of others?"
- Thomas Jefferson