RARA-AVIS: said, rules, Halliday

From: Mbdlevin@aol.com
Date: 22 Jul 2001

<< substitutes for the word, "said" >>

I'm not a big fan of rules for writing. I'd agree, I suppose, that for action, you wouldn't want to use a lot of adjectives and adverbs, but generally rules are necessary but insufficient to create something interesting. English teachers encounter this problem a lot.

My favorite, dated word for "said" reared its head when we we're reading Mike Shane (I read "Murder on the Black Market" from the 1940s): "ejaculated."

Doug