Re: RARA-AVIS: Recent reads

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 20 Jul 2001

--- JIM DOHERTY < jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Under his pseudonym of "David Knight," Prather wrote
> the first of a three-novel trilogy based on the
> popular, pioneering police procedural TV show
> *Dragnet* for Pocket Books (the other two novels
> were
> written by Richard Deming). The book, entitled
> *Case
> 561*, had Joe Friday and his partner tracking a cop
> killer. The real-life case from which Prather
> derived
> his plot, by the way, was the same one used for the
> pre-*Dragnet* movie *He Walked by Night*, which
> featured a young radio actor named Jack Webb in a
> supporting role, and which gave that young actor the
> idea for a radio show that authentically depicted
> police work.

I've seen this movie and it's quite fine, a bare-bones, no-nonsense account of a murder investigation.

People my age, when they think of Dragnet at all, usually think of the often-dreadful late-Sixties television show, which is (or at least used to be) rerun to death on cable. But in it's earlier incarnations it was quite good.

doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com