Re: RARA-AVIS: weeding out

From: M Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 01 Jul 2001

 "George Upper replied to

> --- Mark Sullivan's :
>
> > Are any of the following worth holding onto and
> maybe
> > even reading?

writing,

> > two titles featuring Mac Slade Private Dick by John
> > Blumenthal
>
> Mark--
>
> These two are, I believe, the only two Blumenthal
> wrote. They are, in my opinion, very funny...but I
> like the Chance Perdue novels, too, which were
> recently decried here. The Mac Slade novels are
> something like _Airplane_ in book form--a very similar
> type of humor. They are also very clever send-ups of
> the stereotypical PI story a la (my email won't insert
> the quotation marks, sorry) the Red Diamond, Private
> Eye trilogy.
>
> Another good thing about Blumenthal--he's a very, very
> quick read. So if you end up not liking the books,
> you won't have lost much time reading them.

 I guess it's a matter of taste. The author's name caught my attention for obvious reasons. I thought it was terrible, but I hadn't then been exposed to Rara Avians' tastes. Maybe now I would feel diferently. George is right. It shouldn't take you more than an hour or so to read one.

 If some one of the Roger Simons features Moses Wine, you would like it. He is a child of the 60's in Chandler's world. The first, THE BIG FIX, was made into a movie starring Richard Dreyfuss. Mark