Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Steve Earle

From: Ann Chambers Theis ( theisa@co.chesterfield.va.us)
Date: 29 Jun 2001

At 10:09 AM 6/29/01 -0400, you wrote:
>Mark wrote;
>
>>I saw Steve Earle's new book of short stories in a store today. Has
>>anyone read it? If his story songs are any indication, I'd say they
>>probably fit in here. Am I right? Also, how is he as a writer?

Doghouse Roses (June) ISBN: 0618040269 $ 22

An engaging if uneven debut . . . the best two or three-particularly "The Red Suitcase"-have all the earthy virtues of a good folk song. An appealing collection, though Earle fans will find a lot more to enjoy than everybody else. - Kirkus

runs true to the colorful pattern of his own life . . .Earle's widening reputation as a musician is soon to be rivaled by his renown as a talented storyteller. Library Journal

uneven collection . . . thrives on a love of hyperbole and maudlin sentiment, both of which are perhaps best confined to country songs - PW

Never forms a cohesive whole, but its heart is in the right place - Booklist

A songwriter's songwriter, Steve Earle is a country music sensation who now takes his writing gift to another medium. His debut collection of short fiction reflects the many facets of the man and his hard-fought struggles.
- Blurb from Ingram Advance

Ann Chambers Theis ~ theisa@co.chesterfield.va.us Collection Management Administrator, Chesterfield County Public Library (VA) Overbooked, a resource for ravenous readers - http://www.overbooked.org