Re: RARA-AVIS: Estleman's MOTOR CITY BLUE

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 27 Jun 2001

--- Mark Sullivan < DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net> wrote:
> And while we're talking about Estleman, let me again
> endorse his Macklin
> series, about a hit man and his family problems. I
> was always sorry
> there were only three of these.

I actually think these are far better than the Amos Walker series, which is good but kind of self-conciously retro. I compare Walker to some modern rock bands who base a career out of aping Sixties-era punk. They can be very good, but you're always sort of realizing that it's a contrived exercise.

That said, I did like SUGARTOWN.

doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com