Re: RARA-AVIS: Estleman's MOTOR CITY BLUE

From: GN ( piesbook@execpc.com)
Date: 27 Jun 2001

> It seems, from my small exposure, that over the years Estleman honed his
> craft, the Walker books settled into a groove, and Walker himself stayed
> an anachronistic PI, but a more fleshed-out and real person. MOTOR CITY
> was very early Estleman, and he's gotten a lot better since. Would those
> who've read more Walker books agree?

When I read them as they came out, I think I liked the early books better then when I re-read them now. Now they almost have a tongue-in-cheek attitude. But I would agree with you. As the series progresses, Walker becomes more aware of his dinosaur status, but acts/speaks less like a parody and becomes more comfortable with his role. I think Estleman may be one of the last of the direct links to the original style of the P. I. NEVER STREET has fun with film noir, and THE SMILE ON THE FACE OF THE TIGER does the same kind of thing with paperback writers.

Best, GWN Gary Warren Niebuhr P. I. E. S. (Private Investigator Entertainment Service) P. O. Box 341218 Milwaukee, WI 53234 piesbook@execpc.com http://www.execpc.com/~piesbook/piescatalog.html