RARA-AVIS: Jim Tully

From: Hugh Lessig ( hlessig@earthlink.net)
Date: 27 Jun 2001

I recently came across the work of Jim Tully at a web site hosted by Dennis McMillan publications. Still being relatively new to the world of HB-noir, I hadn't heard of the guy. The site had samples of his writing, including a article called "California Holiday," written for H.L. Mencken. It was a harrowing account of a hanging, which he witnessed in 1927 at San Quentin, and it stayed with me all night. It was like discovering one of the masters.

Amazon.com has one his books, "Beggars of Life." I'm wondering if anyone on the list has read this, or could recommend other works.