Re: RARA-AVIS: Ellroy reviewd at Salon; Spillane still notdead

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 13 Jun 2001

Jess wrote:

"I'm not sure I see the problem. The book is impenetrable. I don't think that's a bad thing. It's a product of Ellroy's style and plotting. But I don't think being impenetrable, and I don't believe Barra is saying this, is the same as being unintelligble."

I guess we're having a semantic difference. I took impenetrable as meaning impossible to enter, to get into. However, you seem to mean it as monolithic, larger than life, too much to fully digest, etc. If so, I can see your point, which is a shame. We had a nice little debate going.

Mark