Re: RARA-AVIS: Ellroy Vs. Joyce

From: Terrill Lankford ( lankford2000@earthlink.net)
Date: 13 Jun 2001

Mark Sullivan wrote:

> Terrill (who's been lurking, has the new store been keeping you busy?)
> wrote:
>
> "I'll take Ellroy in the fourth round."
>
> That late? And do they both get to take off their glasses first?

Even dead, Joyce is a tough old dude. And without their glasses they're both blind as bats. I give it to Ellroy in the fourth due to his obvious weight advantage.

I haven't just been lurking, I was off-list for a few months due to writing duties and bookstore chores. I'll have to hit the archives and see what I missed.

In the meantime, I'm reading Lansdale's new one, CAPTAINS OUTRAGEOUS, and outrageous it is. Anyone who digs Hap and Leonard needs to pick this one up at the first opportunity. The limited from Subterranean Press is out now. The trade comes out in September.

Without giving anything away, Hap and Leonard take a cruise, wind up in Mexico and have considerable trouble finding the border again. Funny, exciting stuff, told with homespun care by Big Bad Joe.

TL