Re: RARA-AVIS: WHO created the hard-boiled story?

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 11 Jun 2001

Mario wrote:

"Speaking of contemporary hardboiled: I just finished _The Ex_ a really scary novel by John Lutz, an excellent hardboiled writer I've learned to appreciate in the last few years."

I saw the cable movie based on this. It was pretty generic, although it starred Yancy Butler, a fave of mine, who did a good job as the increasingly creepy stalking Ex.

"At his best, Lutz is as good as Gores (cream of the crop)."

Now that's high praise. Maybe I should try the book. All I've read by Lutz are his first couple of Fred Carver books. I thought they were pretty good, but not great. Does the series get better?

I did like a Nudger story or two I read. Are the Nudger novels equally good?

"If you want a scary double bill, read Westlake's _The Ax_ and follow it up with Lutz's _The Ex_."

I read a lukewarm review of Westlake's follow-up to The Ax. Was it The Hook? Anyone here have an opinion?

Mark