Re: RARA-AVIS: Charles Williams Films

From: Etienne Borgers ( freeweb@rocketmail.com)
Date: 11 Jun 2001

--- Juri Nummelin < jurnum@utu.fi> wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jun 2001, Etienne Borgers wrote:

> [Joy House]
> > As said in other messages, a film by Rene Clement,
> top
> > director of other very good French noir films,
> and..
> > far from being forgotten for them!
>
> I've always thought that he is remembered only for
> the children-in-war
> film, what's its name?

===That's : JEUX INTERDITS- 1952,(FORBIDDEN GAMES) griping film about two very young children during WW2, with an incredible performance of the young Brigitte Fossey. It's not noir, but an excellent film! And far from Disney's stories... Was also famous for its theme music by classical guitarist Narcisso Yepes.

On the noir front, Clement is the director of: PLEIN SOLEIL (PURPLE NOON)-1960, top noir film based on 'The Talented Mr Ripley'by Patricia Highsmith

AND HOPE TO DIE (La course du lievre a travers les champs)-1972 way underrated noir film, with a script by Sebastien Japrisot loosely based on a noir novel by David Goodis.

RIDER ON THE RAIN (Le passager de la pluie)-1970, more thriller orientated, but interesting and perfectly directed, starring an amazing Charles Bronson in a top performance. Script by Japrisot.

====JOY HOUSE, one of its best known novels.

=====Yes, the same himself... and totally forgettable for all of his films....

E.Borgers Hard-Boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384