Re: RARA-AVIS: Charles Williams Films

From: Etienne Borgers ( freeweb@rocketmail.com)
Date: 10 Jun 2001

There are more films based on Williams novels than those in your list, most of them of French origin as Williams enjoyed a very good reputation over there as HB/noir writer of first value (the same cannot be said of his native America...). But is seems you want info only regarding the films you listed.

>1.) French film based on NOTHING IN HER WAY(Starring
> Jeanne Moreau & Jean-Paul Belmondo.)

Yep! French title: PEAU DE BANANE (title taken from the French translation of the novel)- issued in the USA as BANANA PEEL- 1963 by Marcel Ophuls. Average, with comedy traits.

> 2.) 3rd Voice(Based on ALL THE WAY)(From the same
> director as the marvelous PLUNDER ROAD)

?? no info for this thriller

>3.) THE WRONG VENUS

aka: DON'T JUST STAND THERE- 1968 kind of comedy with Robert Wagner - I never saw it

>4.) JOY HOUSE(Scripted by Williams from the novel by
> Day Keene)

As said in other messages, a film by Rene Clement, top director of other very good French noir films, and.. far from being forgotten for them! Title: LES FELINS - 1964 (In the USA: Joy House) Good film, on par with the novel and excellent dialog by Williams- Clement's cinematography is a bit colder than the book style, but it's not detrimental. Main actors are impeccable as expected... Worth to be seen.

>5.) THE MAN WHO WOULD NOT DIE

USA-1975 by Robert Arkless- script: George Chesbro- Cast: Dorothy Malone, Aldo Ray based on the novel: The Sailcloth Shroud- I do not remember having seen the film.

> 6.) THE PINK JUNGLE

1968 by Delbert Mann I do not remember this film.

>Also, I know that THE DIAMOND BIKINI was issued as
> part of the Blue Murder series.

Became a French film: FANTASIA CHEZ LES PLOUCS- 1971, by Gerard Pires title taken from the French translation of the novel. Low value film totally missing the wittily mood of this top novel. Better to be forgotten.

Among the other films based on Williams: a couple of telefilms for French cable TV, an Australian sea thriller with Nicole Kidman, one by Truffaut, one by Claude Sautet (this French creator is unjustly forgotten as prime noir film director, and is remembered only for his later lame sociological dramas)...etc

E.Borgers Hard-Boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384