RARA-AVIS: Speaking of Newman movies...and Ross Macdonald...

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 06 Jun 2001

Finally saw HARPER the other day. Very disappointing...particularly when many folk over the years have noted how good it is. Newman seems remarkably full of himself. Wm. Goldman's script has little chance, RM's book less so, up against Newman's pseudocomic mugging, the too-frenetic editing, Johnny Mandel's eventually annoying music. The best younger-Robert Wagner performance I've seen doesn't help much, since it still isn't good except in brief passages...oh, well. I've heard both THE DROWNING POOL and Peter Graves as Archer in THE UNDERGROUND MAN are that much worse. TM