RARA-AVIS: recent reads UK HB discovered

From: Scatalogic@aol.com
Date: 04 Jun 2001

Hullo all from a decidedly softboiled, probably poached, Gloucestershire, UK. After moaning about not finding any decent UK HB recently I just completed Scorpian Rising by Anthony Frewin (No Exit Press) and it was an excellent read. Also commenced his London Blues which so far is superb and seems to do everything that Arnott doesnott. First meeting with Parker as well - in Richard Stark's The Outfit - superb!! Mob-procedural almost, very short and sharp.

Not a recent read but Frewin in London Blues quotes from Luc Sante's LOWLIFE and if by any chance anyone out there hasn't come across this history of New York's underbelly then seek it out, it's fascinating, sad and sometimes very funny. In it Sante quotes from The Big Con by David W Maurer and that's a good source book as well recently reissued in the UK by Random House/Arrow.

Hope I am posting correctly?? I am a bit new to this so please feel free to correct. Regards Colin