Re: RARA-AVIS: Chester Himes in New Yorker

From: michaelschong@canada.com
Date: 31 May 2001

A very informative article on the life and work of Chester Himes. I'm surprised Mr. Als, the writer, didn't like James Sallis's biography of Himes. I thought it blended literary analysis of his work with Himes's convoluted life quite well.

Other good sources for Himes are The Several Lives of Chester Himes, another biography, and Interviews with Chester Himes, a collection of dialogues with Himes including the John A. Williams one mentioned in the New Yorker article.

Chong