Re: RARA-AVIS: Jones Men & Old School Books

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 28 May 2001

There seem to be a number of fans here of the Old School Books series
(or Payback Press in the UK, not exactly the same list, but a big overap in catalog). I must admit that other than Chester Himes, Iceberg Slim and Donald Goines, all of the Old School writers were new to me. So I was wondering, are there other good black hardboiled writers who have not yet been rediscovered? Any other names I should look for in used stores?

I would recommend Howard Street by Nathan Heard. I have a couple of his other books, but haven't read them yet. I also really liked Way Past Cool by Jess Mowry, which is more contemporary than the '70s books.

Mark