RARA-AVIS: Jones Men

From: George Pelecanos ( shoedog1@erols.com)
Date: 27 May 2001

Mark is right on the money with his praise of The Jones Men, one of the most underrated books of its kind: tough, unsentimental, and nearly reportorial, unsurprising given the author's background. An authentic, non-campy look at the street-side 70s as well, and truly hardboiled. Highly recommended.

I first heard the term "wolf-tickets" used by my fellow salesmen when I was a young man working the fast track retail floors. Anytime someone was bullshitting you about something they were said to be selling wolf-tickets. It comes from scalpers selling counterfeit tickets outside of sporting and concert events. When you find out later that you've been taken (bitten), you realize that it's as if you walked into granny's bedroom and discovered a wolf lying beneath her comforter and wearing her threads.

Pelecanos