Chandler bios (was Re: RARA-AVIS: Inside/Outside)

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 26 May 2001

On 26 May 2001, Scatalogic@aol.com wrote:

: Unfortunate merely as a reflection of the popular comedic image that
: public schools have here. As I am a bit of a newcomer to all this
: (sorry off topic) can someone reccomend a good Chandler biog?

There's Frank MacShane's THE LIFE OF RAYMOND CHANDLER (1976) and Tom Hiney's RAYMOND CHANDLER: A BIOGRAPHY (1997). MacShane's tops Hiney's, from what I've seen people say here. Also of interest might be the new collection of letters, edited by MacShane and Hiney, THEY RAYMOND CHANDLER PAPERS (2001).

Bill