RARA-AVIS: Race Williams and the KKK

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 21 May 2001

I had some e-mail recently from someone looking for a copy of the first of Daly's Race Williams stories, where Race takes on the Ku Klux Klan. I searched Google and came up with a link to an essay I don't think has ever been mentioned here. It's "Constructing Race Williams: The Klan and the Making of Hard-Boiled Crime Fiction," by Sean McCann of Wesleyan University, and it's at

http://euterpe-muse.press.jhu.edu/journals/american_quarterly/v049/49.4mccann.html

(all one line, in case your mailer splits it). I haven't read it--it's long enough I want to print it out--but at a skim it looks interesting.

Bill