Re: RARA-AVIS: Recent reads

From: marianne.macdonald@lineone.net
Date: 21 May 2001

>> I think that this is a UK problem - any crime writer who writes anything
>that
>> may be construed as the tinyest bit hardboiled is instantly acclaimed as
>the
>> British Ellroy, so prune your prose and throw in a bit off effing and
>> blinding and some casual drugs references (often hugely unconvincing!) and
>> you're there. .. I am
>> yet to find much in the way of decent British noir/hardboiled but will be
>> pleased to be pointed at some.

Just as a matter of curiosity, has anybody besides me read JJ Connolly's LAYER CAKE, which I thought was pretty good? On the whole, British hb/noir is not like the American: very different societies. (Nor do we have talking foxes or crime-solving cats, I feel meanly compelled to point out.) However, in some moods both Val McDermid and Minette Walters go pretty noir, and Val has done one quite adequately hbish novel recently.

Marianne Macdonald