Re: RARA-AVIS: Recent reads

From: John Williams ( johnwilliams@ntlworld.com)
Date: 21 May 2001

Scatalogic wrote (re Timlin)

> I think that this is a UK problem - any crime writer who writes anything
that
> may be construed as the tinyest bit hardboiled is instantly acclaimed as
the
> British Ellroy, so prune your prose and throw in a bit off effing and
> blinding and some casual drugs references (often hugely unconvincing!) and
> you're there. .. I am
> yet to find much in the way of decent British noir/hardboiled but will be
> pleased to be pointed at some.

David Peace's 1977 is the finest Brit hardboiled novel I've read. With the possible exception of He DIed WIth His Eyes Open by....

The late great Derek Raymond is an exception,
> read him now! I understand that the Factory Series are being filmed with
Ray
> Winston (Scum, Nil by Mouth, Sexy Beast) as the Sergeant

Unfortunately this is not, as of now, happening. That said, there is some new activity on the Raymond movie front, but it's very early days yet.

John