RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V3 #710

From: Dixon H. Chandler II ( dchandler@nettally.com)
Date: 17 May 2001

Re The Fallen Sparrow movie again.

>(Quoted in "John Garfield: His Life and Films" by--ahem--Jim Beaver.)

Jim! I didn't realize you were on the list--I'm also a Garfield fan. They Made Me a Criminal (1939) is a favorite, and I ready your book enthusiastically many years ago--early 80's, I think?

Bill Hagen wrote of the novel that I was focusing on a point when the novel become interesting, and I will probably agree when I read it. I like Hughes a great deal. Her brand of psychological suspense is often riveting. I possibly gave an unfair impression of her work when I cited the example of
"footsteps!!" from the film. For great books-into-movies, I'd still go with In a Lonely Place or Ride the Pink Horse. (Of the latter, Pauline Kael wrote, "nobody in his right mind would imitate it." haha!)

-dc