RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS The Fallen Sparrow MOVIE

From: Dixon H. Chandler II ( dchandler@nettally.com)
Date: 16 May 2001

Dorothy B. Hughes and The Fallen Sparrow. I just saw the movie, and was disappointed. John Garfield seems to be sleepwalking through the role, even when he's doing some "are those footsteps?!! I hear footsteps!!!" number. Walter Slezak is around, and always worth watching, but even marvelous Maureen O'Hara can't liven this one up. It's not quite a "B," down on the level of the Michael Shayne pics coming out around this time, but it's a potboiler, and I wouldn't call this a notable noir.

-dc