RARA-AVIS: Dorothy B. Hughes

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 15 May 2001

On 15 May 2001, Reminder Cron wrote:

: May 2001: Dorothy B. Hughes: is she or isn't she?

I picked up THE FALLEN SPARROW but dropped it at about page 30. There's a prologue set in a prison during the Spanish Civil War, something I'm interested in. When the book starts McKittrick is in a foul mood because his old friend Louie has died and McKittrick thinks it was murder. He blows into New York and starts insulting cops, and they sling some pretty gaudy patter at each other. After a stop at his mother's place (his father was a Tammany Hall bigwig, she remarried to a high society type) he heads off to a party and that's when I lost interest. I'd like to see the movie, though.

Bill