Re: RARA-AVIS: Recent reads

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 10 May 2001

Anthony wrote:

"Finished reading Leavin' Trunk Blues by Ace Atkins this past Sunday ... a good little read worth adding to the shelf if you're into detailed, descriptive stories. I haven't read Atkins's first yet, Crossroad Blues, and LTB doesn't inspire me to move it to the top of the TBR stack, but I did buy it to read sometime in the future."

Although I read and liked LTB well enough, I had some reservations. As I've noted before, many aspects of the book are spoiled if you know the blues song Stagger Lee, which means basically anyone who is at all familiar with the blues. All in all, I liked Atkins' first, Crossroads Blues, a whole lot more. And its blues history was better incorporated into the book, fueled by a real blues mystery, the death of Robert Johnson.

I liked Woodrell's Give Us a Kiss, also.

Mark