Re: RARA-AVIS: 'Cold Six Thousand'

From: a.n.smith ( ansmith@netdoor.com)
Date: 07 May 2001

>i haven't read it
> yet but the labyrinth plotting and subplotting and the masses of
> characters and the "inside view" of national events sounds familiar.

Sure, but if you liked it before, why not again? I bought my copy yesterday, and I think it's fine. Much more interesting, less annoying than recent GQ articles would have led me to believe (which makes me think he just dashed those off for cash and saved his real & best work for the novel. way to go). The prose is the typical scatterbrained routine, but it works because he's giving us characters who matter instead of playing around,
"Ellroy playing at Ellroy." I'm impressed.

Neil Smith