Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Outcast

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 03 May 2001

Bill Crider:

<<My wife says she knew the answer even before the choices went up on the screen. It's nice to know that she's learned something by hanging around with me all these years.>>

Well, since macho modesty rains, reigns here today: I finally got my wife to keep her eyes open for those trashy-looking, dusty paperbacks, particularly if they have a gold medal and say 25, 35, 40 or 50 cents (even 60 is OK). She's got me several good ones at yard sales, most recently John D. MacDonald's _All These Condemned_ ("There was only one man she had ever made happy--the man who finally had the courage to murder her") and _A Key to the Suite_ (fine cover art, no melodramatic blurb).

Speaking of Gold Medalists: stimulated by the discussion of Charles Williams, I went and reread his _The Hot Spot_
(originally, _Hell Hath No Fury_, horrible title, to be sure). Terrific book, even better than I remembered. It's noir suspense with a hardboiled protagonist. A perfect book.

Regards,

MrT

=====