RARA-AVIS: Burke

From: Bill Crider ( abc@wt.net)
Date: 26 Apr 2001

I confess to a weakness for purple prose, so I sort of like Burke. The plots sometimes don't seem to make much sense, and I'm not fond of the ones that bring in the supernatural (even if you want to pretty it up and call it "magic realism"). But Burke was writing in almost exactly the same style when he started out, over 30 years ago. It's not something he just came up with, and I'm not sure he'd ever read Hammett or Chandler or any other mystery fiction back in those days.

Bill Crider