Re: RARA-AVIS: Charles Willliams

From: r-and-jclinton ( r-and-jclinton@msn.com)
Date: 18 Apr 2001

Doug writes:

> In the last year or so, I read three novels by Williams: "Sailcloth
Shroud,"
> "Aground," and "Scorpion Reef." They are all good, though I liked the
last
> two better than the first. How many of his books are sea yarns and how
many on
> land?

Though I'm a big Williams fan, I don't know offhand his output count, let alone the comparison count between land and sea novels. But my two cents on the guy: I believe - as do most of the folks I've talked to in regards to Williams - that his land-based novels are a lot more gripping and meritable/memorable than his sea-set works. Compare his classics like RIVER GIRL, HILL GIRL, MAN ON THE RUN and THE HOT SPOT against books like THE SAILCLOTH SHROUD and the like and it becomes quite clear where his literary strength (if not his interest) lies. His self interests, of course, are another matter: a longtime sailor and devotee of the sea, he culminated his affair with the ocean with his apparent suicide upon the open sea.

Ron Clinton