Re: RARA-AVIS: Gault & Ellroy

From: abc ( abc@wt.net)
Date: 11 Apr 2001

The only U.S. Bouchercon I've missed since 1979 was the one in New York. I regret that for two reasons: I missed John D. MacDonald, and I missed the Gault/Ellroy exchange.

My favorite Gault Bouchercon was the one in Milwaukee where he and Mickey Spillane were hilarious when they heckled each other.

Gault was just a great guy. Around 25 years ago, when I was helping Billy Lee with a little zine called PAPERBACK QUARTERLY, I wrote Gault and asked if he'd do an interview. He was very gracious in his response, saying he didn't realize anyone was still even reading his mystery novels. I like to think that interview (along with the Milwaukee B'con) did something to get him back to the mystery field for a few years before his death.

Bill Crider